This week we had the Food Waste Ninja back to our school where she talked about the environmental impact of food waste. The school learned about the process of food, from growing to throwing and its environmental impact.
It takes a lot of energy, water, effort, love, resources and money to get food to our tables. Globally, too much food is wasted. Some easy steps to reduce food waste at home:
- Buying only what we can eat
- Storing the food properly
- Eating our leftovers
Some easy steps to reduce food waste at school:
- Asking for a smaller portion
- Choosing the option of food we like to eat
- We can always snack later on the food that is left in our packed lunch
Most importantly it was great to see so many ninjas on board at Bowmansgreen to reduce food waste.
“I was shocked to see how much water is used to make one burger, 2,200litres” – Year 5 student.
We are looking forward to welcoming Ruby back next term to hear more about the Food Ninjas.